Clevidipine Butyrate (klev-ID-i-peen BUE-ti-rate)
Treats high blood pressure. Belongs to a class of drugs called calcium channel blockers.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to clevidipine, soybeans, soy products, eggs, or egg products. You should not receive this medicine if you have a heart condition called aortic stenosis (narrowing of a valve in your heart) or lipid metabolism problems (high fat in the blood, such as hyperlipemia, lipoid nephrosis, or pancreatitis with high blood fat).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart failure or hypotension.
- Your doctor will only give you a few doses of this medicine until your condition improves, and then you will be switched to another medicine that works the same way. If you have any concerns about this, talk to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Fast or irregular heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweats, and bluish-colored skin.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Unusual tiredness or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Review Date: 2011-02-04