Walks and runs are important. But so are prevention and early detection.
The Aiello Breast Center at University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center provides all-encompassing breast care to women throughout the region.
The center is another step in the hospital's growing commitment to women's health care, focusing on cancer prevention and early detection, identification of benign disease, diagnosis of breast cancer, cancer therapy and support services.
As part of its all-encompassing care, the center features a multi-disciplinary approach with a specific point of entry into the program and ongoing coordination through all phases of screening, diagnosis and treatment. The program's experienced group of specialists includes leaders in the fields of radiology, breast surgery, medical oncology, radiation oncology, and plastic surgery. They work together to meet the needs of each patient. The team specializes in the evaluation and treatment of all types of breast problems and concerns including:
- Benign and malignant breast tumors
- Breast pain
- Nipple discharge
- Suspicious mammograms
- Patients with a previous breast cancer or positive biopsy
- Patients at high risk for breast cancer
The multidisciplinary breast program offers a complete range of diagnostic, treatment and screening services, including:
- Consultations and second opinions for newly diagnosed and recurrent cancers
- Diagnostic imaging, including mammography, ultrasonography, MRI and CT
- Breast pathology
- Minimally invasive biopsy techniques, including stereotactic and ultrasound guided core needle biopsies and fine needle aspiration
- Conservative surgical techniques, including incisional or excisional biopsies, lumpectomy, sentinel lymph node biopsy and axiliary dissection
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Reconstructive surgery, including TRAM or latissimus dorsi flap and DIEP flap surgery
- Hormonal therapy
- External beam radiotherapy
- Treatment options counseling
- Combination/multimodality therapies
- Treatment of metastatic disease
- New therapies for all stages of breast cancer
- Individual and family psychological counseling
- Genetic counseling, including family history review and individual assessment of breast cancer risk
The Aiello Breast Center is accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program of the American College of Surgeons. This means you can rest assured that we are held to the highest standards of care for patients with diseases of the breast. We were one of the first breast centers in Maryland to receive this accreditation.
The Aiello Breast Center is named after Joe and Doris Aiello, who pledged $1 million toward its development. The center is located at 203 Hospital Drive in the Aiello Center on UM BWMC's campus. For more information about The Aiello Breast Center, please call 410-553-8351.