You know what you want to say, but the words won't come out right.
Speech-language pathology is the evaluation and treatment of disorders involving swallowing, speech, language, voice and cognition. As part of the therapeutic program, speech-language pathologists educate and counsel people on the impact of and strategies for managing communication and swallowing disorders.
Speech pathologists at UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center have master's degrees, hold American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Certificates of Clinical Competence and are licensed by the Maryland Department of Mental Health and Hygiene.
Services offered for adults with:
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorder) - instrumental diagnosis by Modified Barium Swallow
- Aphasia (language disorders)
- Oral-motor dysfunction
- Dysarthria (speech disorders)
- Voice disorders
- Cognitive-linguistic impairments
- Head and neck cancer (pre/post radiation or surgery)
- Alternative communication techniques and devices
In most cases, you will be given an appointment within three to five working days. Please call 410-787-4433 to make an appointment.
We participate with most insurance carriers. As a courtesy, insurance benefits are preauthorized so that patients will understand benefit limitations and/or any financial obligations they may incur.