Treats sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, and cough caused by hay fever, colds, or flu.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Alacol DM, Alahist DM, Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough, Alka-Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold, Anaplex DM, Anaplex DMX, Andehist DM NR, Atuss DS, Balacall DM, Balamine DM, Biclora-D, Bromatan Plus, Bromfed DM Cough, Bromphenex DM, Brotapp PE-DM
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any cough or cold medicine. You should not use this medicine if you have taken an MAO inhibitor such as Nardil®, Marplan®, Eldepryl®, or Parnate® within the past 14 days. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Long Acting Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Fizzy Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Liquid, Packet, Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Completely chew any chewable tablet before swallowing it. Swallow any other tablet or capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew.
- Measure the oral liquid with a marked medicine spoon, oral syringe, medicine cup, or medicine dropper. You might need to shake the medicine before you use it.
- If you use powder or effervescent tablet, stir the medicine into water and drink it right away. You must use at least 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of water to dissolve the effervescent tablet. Do not keep any mixture to take later.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using any other medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, other cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, glaucoma, seizure disorders, asthma, emphysema, an enlarged prostate, urinary blockage, or an overactive thyroid.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). Talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if they get worse, call your doctor. If you have a severe sore throat, fever, or thick yellow or green mucus, call your doctor.
- This medicine can make you drowsy or restless. Avoid taking at bedtime if it makes you restless. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Some brands of this medicine may contain alcohol. Read the label carefully or ask your pharmacist so you know what is in your product.
- Children may be more sensitive to this medicine than adults, especially if they take too much. Always read the medicine label closely so you give your child the right amount. Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you are not sure how much medicine to give your child.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Severe headache
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat
- Trouble urinating