Treats eye itching and discomfort caused by allergies.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Alaway, Claritin Eye, Leader Allergy Eye Drops, Leader Eye Itch Relief Drops, Refresh Eye Itch Relief, Rite Aid Eye Itch Relief, Visine All Day Eye Itch Relief, Zaditor, Zyrtec Itchy Eye Drops
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ketotifen.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Talk with your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicines in the eye.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- If you wear contact lenses, do not put them in right after using ketotifen. Wait at least 10 minutes before putting the lenses in your eyes.
- Do not wear your contact lens(es) if your eye(s) is red. You should not use this medicine to treat irritation of the eyes caused by contact lenses.
- You should not use leftover medicine to treat other eye conditions or general discomfort from contact lenses.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Change in or loss of vision
- Excessive tears in the eyes
- Severe eye irritation, redness, swelling or pus in or around the eye
- Severe eye pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning or stinging in the eye after using the medicine
- Increased eye sensitivity to sunlight
- Runny or stuffy nose