Magnesium Oxide (mag-NEE-zee-um OX-ide)
Treats acid indigestion and upset stomach. Also used as a mineral supplement to add to the magnesium oxide in your daily diet.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
Mag-Ox 400, Nature Made Diabetes Health Pack, Phillips', UroMag
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, there is no reason for you to not use this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- If you are using this medicine as an antacid, do not use the medicine for longer than 2 weeks in a row.
- Drink at least six to eight (8 ounce) cups of liquid each day, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other medicines that may not work properly if you use them together with magnesium oxide. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease.
- Tell your doctor if your acid indigestion does not improve after using the medicine for 1 to 2 weeks.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor: