Prenatal vitamins are used to supplement the diet before, during, and after pregnancy.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
B-Nexa, BP MultiNatal Plus, Bal-Care DHA, Bal-Care DHA Essential, Basic's Prenatal Vitamins, Carlson PreNatal Multiple With DHA, Cavan-Alpha, Cavan-EC SOD DHA, CitraNatal 90 DHA, CitraNatal Assure, CitraNatal B-Calm, CitraNatal DHA, CitraNatal Harmony, CitraNatal Rx, Citracal Prenate 90+DHA
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use prenatal vitamins if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a vitamin or mineral supplement.
How to Use This Medicine
Kit, Capsule, Chewable Tablet, Liquid Filled Capsule, Powder, Spray, Tablet, Bar
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- Swallow the tablet or capsule whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it.
- The chewable tablet should be chewed before you swallow it.
- Dissolve the powder in 4 to 5 ounces of water and drink the mixture right away.
- Spray the mouth spray on the inside of your cheek. Hold the medicine in your mouth for about 30 seconds, then swallow.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use other vitamin and mineral supplements while you are using prenatal vitamins.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease or have ever had kidney stones. Tell your doctor if you have any blood problems (such as pernicious anemia or too much iron).
- You should not use certain brands of this medicine if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis. Some brands contain ingredients that could be harmful if your kidneys are not working properly. Always ask your health caregiver what specific brands of this medicine will work best for you.
- This medicine might have enough iron to poison a small child. Be very careful to keep this medicine out of the reach of children. If a child does swallow some of this medicine, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). If you have this condition, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dark stools or constipation.
- Mild nausea.