Relaxes muscles during surgery or other medical procedures.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to atracurium besylate.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicines to treat an infection such as amikacin, gentamicin, Garamycin®, streptomycin, or Neosporin®, or polymyxins.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicines for heart rhythm problems such as quinidine (Cardioquin®, Quinaglute®, or Quinidex®). Tell your doctor if you are using procainamide (Procanbid®), lithium, or magnesium salts.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have heart disease, asthma, tumors, or severe allergies.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have a muscle disease such as myasthenia gravis or Eaton-Lambert syndrome.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Abnormal rise in body temperature.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Fever, sweating, or confusion.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Severe redness or warmth on your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Numbness or tingling in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Redness, pain, swelling, itching, or blistering where the needle is placed.