Sodium Nitrite (SOE-dee-um NYE-trite)
Treats cyanide poisoning.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Because cyanide poisoning can be life-threatening, there is no reason not to use this medicine to treat it.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bluish-colored skin.
- Breathing problems, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, or tiredness.